How to complain about a dry cleaners

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers again. If services are not undertaken with reasonable skill and care and your items get damaged or lost then you have the right to claim compensation. This can be the cost of replacing the damaged or lost item although there may be a reduction for wear and tear of the original item.

Membership of the Textile Services Association is available to Laundries, Dry Cleaners, Textile Renters and their suppliers. If the company you are using are members then it offers a conciliation service. You may be asked to prove your claim and on a loser pays basis use the association’s testing service. It also offers an arbitration service is the matter still cannot be resolved.

Speak to the dry cleaner to get the matter resolved in the first instance. If this does not work, write, following Top 20 Tips How to Complain!

If the firm is not a member of the TSA, then you have the option of taking the matter through the Small Claims Court.

Dry cleaning complaints
Earlier this year, I took a suit to a local dry cleaners and picked it up two days later. Luckily I noticed there and then that the mark on the jacket was still there. I complained and said it looked like the jacket hadn’t been done or at the very least the mark hadn’t come out and I had expected it to do so. The owner was very apologetic and asked me to come back the next day. Apparently the jacket had not been done! I didn’t even need to complain and assert my legal rights and got the jacket cleaned for free. So either my reputation goes before me or my face must have said it all. Perhaps it was a good dry cleaners? Or at least had a good manager who had words with his son who only cleaned the trousers!

Another time I took in curtains to a different dry cleaners. Condensation had ruined the bottom of them. This did not come out. I complained and received a full refund. They did tell me that those sort of stains do not come out. So please let me know if you know different and you can get a mould stain out! Also, lesson here, check with the dry cleaner if they think the stain will come out before they waste their and your time.

See also Top 20 Tips for complaining and GET THE BOOK! How To Complain: The ESSENTIAL Consumer Guide to Getting REFUNDS, Redress and RESULTS! for more tips, guidance, advice and templates for complaining effectively.

This entry was posted in Complaining, Complaints gaining redress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to How to complain about a dry cleaners

1. Carole says:

My husband took 2 black suits to be cleaned – one of his (a 3 piece) was on one hanger and one of our son in law’s (a 2 piece suit) was on another hanger. They were two different sizes and although they were same make (Jeff Banks) they were different suits (the lining was completely different).

He picked them up and gave the two piece suit to our son in law to take home (30 miles away) However when my husband came to put the suit on a couple of days later the discovered to his horror they had put his waistcoat with our son in law’s suit – as SiL is 6 ft 1in you can imagine the suit did not fit! Cue mad rush to find another suit in his wardrobe to wear to go out that evening and he was not a happy man!

No excuse for this carelessness.

2. Leanne says:

I have recently took in my wedding dress to be dry cleaned, upon getting it returned I noticed a yellow stain on one part of the dress. I contact the dry cleaners as this looks like chemicals to me and the yellow stain was not about before until I collected it. I notified the dry cleaners and they saying its not chemicals, but yet still refuse to try and get the stain removed incase it is the ”chemicals”. I now have taken it to another professional cleaners who have looked and said it does look like a chemical stain and they will try and get this out for me. They told me that the original dry cleaners should have offered to rectify this for me and if not they should have returned my money. Can you advise please?

3. CGG says:

Hi.I took 2 jackets to drycleaners ,for drycleaning not washing(it is important to mention that)and after i took the items back my fiance’s javket was all ruined,the puffy interior was all in one place and ot at all in others.I tool it back they said it is thhe cleaning company’s fault,they said they fix it ut nothing has been done.The owner tried to “escape”the issue saying that it ia mot hia fault,that the label says this and that(30 degrees washing only!!!) that his daughter tooo my items and i dis not mention dry cleaning to washing(it was him who tok it in and hia daughter whi gave it to me) and I was told to call the cleaning company than the shop where i purchased the jacket than the producer of the jacket.The cleaning company person that answered the phone dis not let me say 1 word except why I am calling,mentioning that it costs herore to dey clean the jacket than the £5 i paid for,however that what he charged me.Bottom line 8 am left with no winter jacket for my fiance,I am £75 down(jacket’s price)and being taken for a fool,stupid and having received arogant and rude treatment.We have a 6 months old baby £75 extra means a lit of dipers and other baby stuff.I wanna make an iffucial complain and get my money back.Any advice?!

• The Complaining Cow says:

Little difficult to follow your post – please see all the links in the post, when you complain in writing please get someone to look over what you write for clarity and typos which will ensure that you are listened to. You mention dipers – this law only covers the UK.

4. Steph says:

Having left my dress in for dry cleaning, I later received a message stating there had been a fire on the premises and as of yet the haven’t come across the dress, this was two weeks ago. I got in contact with them and they are asking for a receipt as the dress is over a year old I cannot find it. Do I have any redress at all or is all lost. Many thanks in advance.

• The Complaining Cow says:

Any proof of purchase will do a bank statement for example. You might end up arguing about the amount but certainly they have to give you some thing as you have the receipt for them taking it in the first place.

• Lesley says:

My mum has just lost all of her bedding due to a fire and the cleaners are saying they are not responsible for replacing the items as they have not lost or damaged them and the fire was not their fault.

• The Complaining Cow says:

They should claim on their insurance. They are liable. Follow the advice and links in post, tips etc.

5. Vilma says:

I have picked up my wedding dress this morning and being two years with no sleep with my toddler, I didn’t properly check it. Now at home I see it shrunk by big amount…i Paid cash and didn’t pick up a receipt… What can I do

6. Angela says:

I took a three week old £249 raincoat into my local dry cleaners to be cleaned and on collecting it, found it was ruined and mottled all over. The dry cleaner said it was a manufacturing defect of webbing inside the coat, causing delamination and refused to refund me for damage. I sent the coat to the seller/manufacturer who confirmed no other complaints had been received. Last week I took the coat to my new dry cleaners who cleaned and pressed it and it is nearly perfect again! I showed it to the original cleaners who continued to state it was still delaminated and would return to this state again in time. Stupidly I didn’t trust my instinct that it was overpressed or overheated by the cleaners and I bought the same coat again as I loved the first one so much. I am now out of pocket and I am extremely cross as I believe the dry cleaner should have refunded the cleaning charge at the very least as this was clearly due to their incompetence. They are an independent and not part of any TSA. What can I do?

• The Complaining Cow says:

Please see first link in the post above. Write to dry cleaners with all evidence threaten legal action. See Tips. You’re welcome.

7. Sinah Mnisi says:

My son took his school blazer to the drycleaning when it came back ,the colour was changed and also the texture.

I went to complain to them and they told me that it was not their fault but it was the factory who made the blazer, they told me that the factory used the cheaper material.
    Said I must go to the shop where I purchased the blazer not them. So I left it at the drycleaning really not knowing what to do.
    Please help.

Regard
    Sinah

• The Complaining Cow says:

Write to the manufacturer of the blazer – tell them issue, ask to provide details of the blazer take this to dry cleaners and follow advice in the post.

8. Florin Sirbu says:

Hi. I drop my evening coat which I paid 245£ to a local dry cleaners and when I took it back I was shocked. I had the feeling that it’s a mistake and that isn’t my coat. The fabric was bubbled and wrinkled. I showed her to the lady and she said that is the manufacturer fault and the fabric. Therefore I went to the shop from where I bought it and they send it to London to Quality Department and they informed me that the mistake is from dry cleaners, and it hasn’t been any issues with this particular model, and they sold hundreds of and no complaints. Will someone please guide me with this matter coz I don’t now what to do and I feel frustrated and furious and no coat and -245 £ in my bank account.

• The Complaining Cow says:

Use the evidence from shop where you bought it and follow advice in post above. Put your complaint in writing

• Florin Sirbu says:

Good evening! Regarding my 1st comment I have took the matter further and I have spoken with the manager from the dry cleaners who damaged my jacket. He’s response was ” the defect in your jacket was caused by poor manufacturing techniques and not by anything our processes would do” .
      He proposed to send the garment to the Dry Cleaning Technology Institute for an independent testing who will cost me 168£ on top of 245£ the price paid for jacket. The truth is that I am feeling like I heat a wall and I don’t know what to do and when should I stop. I would very much appreciate guidance. Thank you.
      Sincerely,
      Florin Sirbu

• The Complaining Cow says:

Please read the previous response and post above for what you should do. If you went to court you might need to get independent report or use evidence as I have already mentioned and then claim for it as part of your claim.

• Florin Sirbu says:

Good evening. I would like to say thank you Helen for your help regarding my REISS evening jacket. I did fallow your post and advice and I am writing and smiling at the same time relieved that I have covered my loss in full.
          You are doing an amazing job, your advice is priceless when most of us have no idea about our right as consumers.
          Respectfully,
          Florin Sirbu

• The Complaining Cow says:

Aw thank you. If this blog has helped please do share on social media etc the more people who know about their consumer rights the better and companies will have to stop fobbing people off! You can buy he book too of course 😉

9. Sundeep Satya says:

My wife and I took her wedding dress to a local dry cleaner and asked if it can be dry cleaned as the bottom of the dress had gotten dirty. We were particularly concerned about how delicate the dress was, not to mention the sentimental value, as we had just gotten married 2 weeks ago.The lady said not to worry, she had lots of experience and that she would ‘do a good job’. We left the dry cleaners feeling confident that the dress was in good hands. She had said it would take up to 10 days.

Two days later, we received a text message from the dry cleaners asking us to come in to the shop. On arrival, she immediately said ‘Don’t panic, the dress is ruined.’ The lady witnessed the distress this had caused my wife and she reassured us not to worry, and that the cost of the dress would be reimbursed if we gave her the receipt. My wife stepped out of the shop in tears, to ring her mother and ask for the receipt. I followed her and let her sit in our car as she spoke to her mother. A few minutes later I stepped back in to the shop, and the lady retracted her offer to pay for the dress and said ‘I’ve changed my mind, you can take me to court.’ and asked me to leave the shop.

Please advise.

10. Barbara Christie says:

I paid my a very expensive dress to be dry cleaned unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances I could not get back to pick it up, went today and its gone what are my rights

• The Complaining Cow says:

Please read post above. Would depend on how long you took to go back and pick up and what their terms and conditions are and if you breached them by going over the period for collection. If terms and conditions say something like must return within a day or will be destroyed you could go for unfair contract terms. Legally it would depend on whether a judge believed that they kept it for a fair time or not. You’re welcome.

11. Charkey says:

I took my bridesmaid dress to a local dry cleaners to see if he could take it in as it’s too big now, he suggested taking an inch off each shoulder. However now it don’t fit how it’s ment too and the wedding is at the end of the week now I look completlyebstuood in the dress he refuses to fix it what can I do I have an upset bride and I’m an annoyied bridesmaid!

12. Cristian says:

Hey,
    I have took my a 3 piece suit to a dry cleaners in a plastic bag as it was in a bad condition after a wedding ! The guy at the till was serving another 2 customers so when he asked me how can he help me i said i have a 3 piece suit, he said ok, i did hand him the bag he checked it and give me the receipt without righting the make on mine and that was it ! I was thinking not to keep him to long because he had other customers !
    On the collection day surprise, different suit, not mine, 3 piece as well but not mine, 3 sizes larger and different make, etc !
    He claims that is the suit that i bringed in the first place wich in not true as that’s not mine and it’s impossible !
    I did called the customer support and they are saying the same thing, that’s the suit that i did bringed and it’s the only 3 piece suit in their shop in a long time !
    I do have the receipt from it and an extre pair of trousers and pictures with me wearing it !
    They advised me to go to court ! If anyone can advise what to do please as i did weared it only once and now i have the second pair of trousers with no jacket !

Thanks, Cristian

13. Diane Anderson says:

We took a duvet to a well known dry-cleaners and when we collected it just put it into the wardrobe as it was summer and we didn’t need to use it. When I got it out to put it in the duvet cover I thought that it wasn’t mine. The label was completely faded, there were mould marks on it and a small blood spot None of this was on my duvet and the label was legible. I have contacted the dry-cleaners and they say that the company they send duvets away to says that it is my duvet. That response was almost 2 weeks ago and I’ve heard nothing since. I am going in tomorrow again to pursue it. As I don’t have the receipt with the job number on, only the payment receipt where would I stand legally. I have now had to buy a new duvet as it is required due to the change of seasons and the dry-cleaners took back the one I was complaining about.

• The Complaining Cow says:

Please follow advice in post above. Without proof of purchase it will be more difficult and any court would wonder why it took you so long to notice so that will be difficult. If you can prove it is not yours then that is much easier. If not, it is the same as taking any item back to a shop without proof of postage, you’re welcome.

14. Briege says:

I left a back & cream evening dress into the dry cleaners and when i picked it up the cream have gone a dirty grey colour. The dry cleaners had said it’s not their fault as they cleaned it to the specification on the label to take it back to the shop, which was TKMaxx The retailers have said they can do anything about it as I don’t have the original receipt only a bank statement showing a card purchase at their store and it’s over a year ago. I had only wore the dress once before as its and evening dress. So I’m now left with a dress only fit for the bin, and I have had the luxury of paying £30 for the privilege to bin it as the dry cleaners won’t refund even the cost of cleaning it!!! Any guidance on this one please

• The Complaining Cow says:

Please see post about what to do. When you write ask someone to look over your email/letter for the English/typos etc.