Back in 2012 I put in “Ideas for really frightening children at Halloween” into Google images. Up came a picture of Amy Childs and one of Boris Johnson. So look out for them trick or treating and make sure you scare them away so they don’t come back!
Right, I don’t care if you think Halloween is great fun and a good opportunity to go round to people’s houses and let your kids annoy, inconvenience and scare people they don’t know. It’s begging okay? If you have friends with whom you have agreed for your child/ren to trick or treat with that is not. That is agreeing a game. Going round to people’s houses and asking for sweets and money is begging and that’s illegal did you know? Simples. So many of the kids that do go begging don’t even make an effort with their costume, so they are lazy as well. How many collect for charity? You do? Really? Where’s your ID and paperwork?
The kids round our way know that the witch lives at our house so don’t bother! The bull accidentally did a trick a few years ago. He told them to come back later when I was in. They did and I sent them away with “A don’t come begging at my door” still ringing in their ears as they went along their merry way. Good trick eh?
On a cautionary note joking aside don’t let your kids go to doors of people they don’t know because it is rude frankly. But if you must do it please please please go with them. 1) To stop them actually getting into trouble and 2) It’s not actually safe to let kids roam streets knocking on random doors you know! Some people won’t be told though… I used to run open access play schemes and children as young as five would be sent out on their own to play…
Link to a poster to say no to trick or treating if you want to be a bit more polite than me at The Diary of a Frugal Family blog.
On Facebook I asked for some ideas for frightening children. Here are some tame and less tame ones should you need some inspiration.
What do you think of this?!
I always knew people in the North were inventive, but … pic.twitter.com/WqdqGcDNx7
— Louise Penn (@Louise_Penn_72) June 22, 2018
1) Worm jelly
2) Push scary plastic hand through letterbox (with one finger missing optional)
3) Open door foaming at the mouth (milk shake or soap if you are feeling brave and shout “I have rabies”
4) Lie at the door under dark sheet and sit up and shout as the kids approach the door
5) Brussels wrapped up in foil and put in jelly
6) Race out of door dressed in white coat covered in fake blood and chainsaw in hand (blade not in there please!)
7) Let off fire extinguisher
8) Dress as the Black Reaper hidden in the darkness then just slowly appear as they walk towards the door
9) Dress your dog up like the picture
10) Cover onions in chocolate and put them on sticks
11) Put a sign up on the door saying “The Vagrancy Act 1824 (section 3) Enables the arrest of anybody who is begging”.
Or perhaps the most frightening of all….
12) Get The Complaining Cow to open the door…
— RetailFail (@_Retailfail) October 29, 2017
Got any good ideas? Do please add them below!