You know what annoys me? Ah hmm fair enough, the Internet isn’t big enough for the list. Ok, one of the things that really annoys me in customer service is downright incompetence.
Last year, we bought two new ovens. One of the oven’s instructions (on the oven) was in German. Under the Sale of Goods Act I would say that was not fit for purpose, given that I don’t speak German.
So I telephoned the company where we bought the ovens from and started my spiel. At this point I just wanted to reset the thing into English so I could turn the thing on! So no actual need for a full refund, just someone to tell me how to change it. So they just said they would contact the supplier to send out an engineer. Nope, I was pushed from pillar to post, you know, customer services helpline, switchboard, AEG and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. Now, good old Uncle Tom was indeed employed by them. His advice was great. “Can you use the other oven and follow the instructions on the one in English?” I kid you not, he expected me to use the other oven, counting the times I selected each electronic choice whenever I used the oven! Idiot.
This was one of the very rare occasions I didn’t keep on at the retailer, mainly because I didn’t want a refund. Eventually I got an engineer out from Electrolux who seem to own rather a lot of companies. (Strictly speaking you know they are technicians not engineers). Meanwhile I was trying to register the ovens on the AEG website. Now, on the site one can select the model number then put in the serial number. I did this with a couple of items and then tried the ovens. It wouldn’t process. So I sent a complaint through the web form. I got an email back stating that they needed the model numbers. I think Uncle Tom Cobley had changed jobs because there in front of him was the model number! I pointed out that this had been sent. A week later I wrote again and Uncle Tom’s sister emailed asking for the model number. So I emailed a screen shot with the model number in it! I didn’t get a response.
Meanwhile! The clocks were out of sync so I tried to get this sorted too. I wrote to the CEO (you can find contact details for CEOs at ceoemail.com) regarding the issues. I had a reply from the UK Head of Customer Care who wanted to ‘phone me to discuss. As you know I hate doing that so insisted on correspondence by email.
Then! After the “engineer” arrived and said two new clocks were needed and left paperwork stating that he would be back the following week in the AM, I received a text a week later saying he was coming in the afternoon. Oh no he wasn’t! I emailed the Head chappie again and told him what time the “engineer” would be coming! Funny enough I was right…!
Got everything sorted as you would expect and again the chappie asked to telephone me to discuss redress. I loathe doing this and I’m glad I refused because I would never have asked for the £250 I got!
Then! This happened! Something happened to the lining. The oven is nearly a year old by this point, so they could argue a repair and change the lining possibly. (One could argue about how long the lining should last would be my point and still fight for full refund/replacement!) That’s what the Bull thought but you’d think he’d know me by now. I got my new oven. A newer model it would appear. Great. But it would appear that I am having trouble registering the oven on the website……………….